Monday, February 6, 2012

Yikes!

Where does the time go? It's been a few weeks since my last post & I have some catching up to do.  These past couple weeks have been crazy, busy, fun.  I'm hesitant to say it but so far 2012 seems to be a much better year than 2011 was.  I've been busy taking photos, keeping a recording a my stories of our daily life in a new iPhone app called Momento.  I love how it pulls your Facebook feeds into the app, is easy to record "moments" and even allows you to include photos with each "moment" as well.  So far it is working for me and making Project Life simple & easy.  


A couple weekends ago we took a road trip to Las Vegas to visit with friends & for Mark to attend the 2012 SHOT show with Mike.  The guys had a great time, saw a lot of really cool guns and accessories and while they did boy stuff, me & Michelle had some girl time.  We got ourselves pampered with hour long massages and facials.  It was my first facial and I loved it! Will definitely be having more of them!  It was so relaxing and after being sick for the first few weeks of the year and trying to keep up with home, work, and kids, it was a very special treat.  We had a super yummy dinner (& margaritas) at Margaritaville on the strip.  After dinner we enjoyed a nice walk down the strip to the Bellagio and watched the amazing water show.  I'd only seen it in movies but it was amazing to see up close.  Loved how no 2 shows or songs were the same, it's a different show every 15 minutes.  


We've also been making some healthy changes around here.  We have been trying to eat much healthier which means good home cooked meals instead of fast food.  Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that we've been consuming entirely too much fast food lately (meaning over the past few years, ugh!).  It is so epitome of unhealthiness and is not a very good example for the boys.  So Mark & I had a really good talk about our lifestyle and how we can make it healthier.  We made a pact to cook all our meals at home, take home made lunches to work, make/cook desserts at home and generally choose overall healthier foods.  And so far, so good!  We've been sticking to it.  I'm so proud of us and really hope we can keep it up.  I don't want this to be a temporary thing but a lifestyle change.  We need to set a healthy example for the boys so they grow up to make healthy choices for themselves.  Along with the healthy eating habits, we are starting to make regular exercise a part of our lives again.  We've been active on and off over the years, mostly on, but with long periods of off.  Again, it's time to make this a permanent lifestyle change.  Again, its important to set a good example for the boys.  They need to see that we are committed to good health and fitness.  We have plans to get them involved as well with family hikes, regular bike rides, etc...  We both love to run but have been plagued by injuries over the past year or so (shin splints for me, pulled muscles and a sore back for Mark) and after a long break we are taking it slow and getting back into it.  I've missed it so much.  I watch people running as I drive and I envy them.  So I'm glad to be back out there.  We are starting slow, taking it a couple miles at a time, working up to longer distances.  I still love the adrenaline rush I get from racing and I fully intend to have many more races in my future.  I was actually very sad that I wasn't ready to run my favorite half marathon this year.  It's been a tradition the past couple years to run the Huntington Beach half marathon on Superbowl Sunday morning and then spend the rest of the day hanging out with friends, watching the game and enjoying good food.  At least I got to enjoy the game-and-good-food-with-great-friends part of the tradition but next year, I will be ready to race again!  


Mark & I have also been really trying to spend more quality time together and as a family.  We had a great day last week while the boys were in school.  We went for a nice run together, cleaned up and went out for a lunch date, just the two of us!  Then we did a little shopping (for exercise equipment) and picked up the boys.  We enjoyed family movie night together and had a yummy dinner with homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert.   


So here's to keeping up with all that good stuff and making it a regular part of our daily lives!  

No comments:

Post a Comment